Monday, April 4, 2016

Determination



      Since December I have been hiking every week with a friend. Last Monday we decided to do Hemmed in Hollow. Hemmed in Hollow is in the Buffalo River national park area and quite possibly the most beautiful place in the state of Arkansas. As usual the buffalo never disappoints.
     This was my first time to go to Hemmed in Hollow.  During my typical pre hike research. I kept reading again and again in both blogs, videos and even the national parks website. "this is a strenuous hike for even experienced hikers" Intimidating much? Yeah, but my friend and I decided we were gonna go. The night before I printed a map, prepped my backpack  and went to bed. For the first time before a big hike I felt a little trepidation and whispered a little prayer, "don't let me be biting off more than I can  chew here" and went to sleep. 



Hemmed in Hollow
    The next day I woke up and we headed out. It only took about 1hr 45mins to get there. The start of the trail is flat and follows a ridge line. Then suddenly, things got more serious. The trail became an obstacle of steps winding down the side of a mountain. A fall could easily end up with a visit from my favorite neurosurgeon. Every step became incredibly deliberate. It took 2hrs to get down that mountain. I didn't notice much of the scenery because I was watching every step. EVERY step. I remember commenting to my hiking partner that I would love for some flat trail just so I could walk naturally for a bit. 
     Once we got to the bottom and to the falls we sat and had lunch and enjoyed the view and the breeze. I looked at my watch it was 1pm. I thought we better leave by 2 that way we are off the trail hopefully by six ( assuming it was gonna take us double the time to work our way back up). at 2pm we began the ascent. Again every step being deliberate. We took several breaks. Breaks which allowed me to enjoy the view and forest. I was seeing all I missed on the descend which was nice. It took us 4 hrs to climb back out from the hollow. It was insanely hard. 
    While on the trail and working my way back up I kept telling myself just keep putting one foot in front of the other. Each step took me closer to the top. We finally did reach the top and my car and I was immensely proud of our journey. It was a tough hike. I love hiking because not only do I get to see and experience these beautiful natural wonders I also get to push myself and see what I'm capable of. Most people would not think I could do that hike. But then people always under estimate me and my abilities. 
   Hiking is like life. Some trails are easy some trails are very hard. Life is sometimes easy other times it's hard. But you just keep putting one foot in front of the other. I have had many "mountains" to climb in my lifetime. Thus far I have always managed to climb them. Its not endurance, its determination.  I just keep putting one foot in front of the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment